Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to fix dummy output amd soundcard huawei matebook d15 ubuntu 22.04?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: how to fix dummy output amd soundcard huawei matebook d15 ubuntu 22.04?

I'm guessing your hitting a race condition, but I can't see anything jumping out at me just yet.

I did notice a liquorix PPA mentioned, what kernel are you now using?

I see these were removed as well:
    Code:
    linux-headers-6.5.0-18-generic
      linux-hwe-6.5-headers-6.5.0-18 linux-image-6.5.0-18-generic
      linux-modules-6.5.0-18-generic linux-modules-extra-6.5.0-18-generic
    I wish i had more hands on experience with your hardware though.

I'm not second guessing you, but maybe you tell me more about these sources:
    Code:
    /ppa.launchpadcontent.net/damentz/liquorix/ubuntu jammy InRelease
    ppa.launchpadcontent.net/pipewire-debian/pipewire-upstream/ubuntu jammy InRelease
    ppa.launchpadcontent.net/pipewire-debian/wireplumber-upstream/ubuntu jammy InRelease
    I'm assuming you need this one as well:
    Code:
    https://repo.radeon.com/amdgpu/6.0.2/ubuntu jammy InRelease
    I can see your a bit frustrated, as well I would be, but will you try this a couple of times, just to be sure we have given our best efforts to help.
    Code:
    sudo alsa force-reload
    Please try that while playing some Audio File or Stream. Thanks
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jesse-username View Post
    I tried but everything in pavucontrol ain't working
    pavucontrol is for PulseAudio. I don't know if it is supposed to work with pipewire or not. Audio on Linux is confusing due to history. I was assuming that Pulse was still being used in 22.04. I have a Mint Linux desktop based on Ubuntu 22.04 and it has PulseAudio running. I don't use audio with it, so it isn't very useful for this issue. Hummmm. Not only is pulsed running, but so is the pipewired. Interesting.
    Code:
    lightdm     2026    1979  0 12:46 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --daemonize=no --log-target=journal
    lightdm     2025    1979  0 12:46 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/pipewire
    ESS --> ALSA --> PulseAudio ---> Jack ---> Pipewire

Jack is more complex than Pulse, but has many more capabilities needed by artists trying to play from different locations around the world. I think Jack became popular for audio producers and that forced it onto people during COVID lockdowns.

PulseAudio is a layer on ALSA meant to make it more flexible and easier.
    I don't know how Jack works. Could be a layer over Pulse or connecting directly to ALSA.
    I don't know how Pipewire works either. I've read that it is a layer over Pulse too, but IDK.

Anyway, if you can figure out/find how Pipewire relates to the others and what configurations are mandated, that would be helpful to resolving this issue. Also, you can test using direct ALSA tools to see of there are driver or other hardware issues and it isn't just a configuration problem.

When it comes to testing things, one of the easiest ways to accomplish that is by booting into a Try Ubuntu mode off the USB Flash drive you made from the install ISO. This is a great tool for when there are booting issues due to system configurations, some hardware issues, and personal configuration issues. Pop in the flash drive, boot it and see if the audio doesn't "just work". If it does, you've eliminated a huge set of possible issues. Of course, if the system won't even boot off flash, then something much worse is happening.

For pipewire, seems these tools are available on my system:
    Code:
    $ man -k pipewire
    pipewire (1)         - The PipeWire media server
    pipewire.conf (5)    - The PipeWire server configuration file
    pw-cat (1)           - Play and record media with PipeWire
    pw-cli (1)           - The PipeWire Command Line Interface
    pw-dot (1)           - The PipeWire dot graph dump
    pw-metadata (1)      - The PipeWire metadata
    pw-mididump (1)      - The PipeWire MIDI dump
    pw-midiplay (1)      - Play and record media with PipeWire
    pw-midirecord (1)    - Play and record media with PipeWire
    pw-mon (1)           - The PipeWire monitor
    pw-play (1)          - Play and record media with PipeWire
    pw-profiler (1)      - The PipeWire profiler
    pw-record (1)        - Play and record media with PipeWire
    There must be a GUI tool, that would be easier to use. I don't know what it is. Sorry.

Beans

"Does PipeWire run on top of a PulseAudio or JACK server?

No, PipeWire is a complete reimplementation of a PulseAudio server and a JACK server. It only requires ALSA to make sound (and bluez5 for bluetooth).
    PipeWire still uses the original PulseAudio client library but has a reimplementation of the client JACK library for compatibility with existing applications.

PipeWire also reuses the ALSA card profile code from pulseaudio. This code is responsible for setting up devices and managing the profiles and mixer settings."

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipew...re/-/wikis/FAQ

Beans

The bad news is that no one has ever explicitly reported the sound on this laptop to work under any Linux distro: https://linux-hardware.org/?id=pci:1002-1637-152d-1365

Get a LiveUSB of Ubuntu 24.04 (I think the final version comes out tomorrow) and boot that. If sound doesn't work there, I think it's extremely unlikely you get sound in Ubuntu 22.04 and it's time to start looking at USB or Bluetooth audio solutions if you want sound under Linux.

Code:
    ** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **
    card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    So the kernel module (snd-hda-intel) is loaded, but no device (except the HDMI audio) shows in aplay. It seems this also happens to everyone else using this notebook. That's bad news. If you can't get the device to show in aplay, you can play with Pulseaudio or Pipewire all day and night, but you're just spinning your wheels.

If I got it right on this page it says that my soundcard is supported up to 6.3 kernel version but I have 6.8.7-2-liquorix-amd64. is this the cause of problem? should I like downgrade my kernel version or something?
    No, that's just a quirk of that site. I think their database only goes up to 6.3.

I also tried this: https://github.com/Smoren/huawei-ubuntu-sound-fix but it didn't help either.
    That's for a completely different sound device. Use the uninstall.sh script to undo that.

options snd-hda-intel model=generic options snd_hda_intel index=1
    I would undo that if it didn't help.
    Last edited by Yellow Pasque; 1 Week Ago at 07:24 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12